Sunday, April 27, 2014

Tasting - Barefoot Merlot

Name: Barefoot Merlot
Variety: Merlot
Region: Modesto, San Joaquin Valley, California
Country: United States of America
Year: No Year
Price: $1.25/187ml 
ABV: 13%


Their review: "The perfect combo of cherry, boysenberry, plum, and chocolate flavors. Raised right, it's well rounded with mild tannins."

My review: A wonderfully dark, inky, purple-black. Extremely enjoyable on the nose... a vegetal, perfumy, perhaps floral aroma that balances with the dark fruit. Contrary to how I feel about merlots in general, I could smell this wine all day. Extremely dry, not nearly as full-bodied as I expected. The vegetal perfumy flowers don't really come through in the flavor and thus give way to simply a fruity blackness. I'm also getting a slight weird metallic finish that doesn't linger so it makes you wonder if it's even there. There is a familiar spiciness in the finish as well. Overall a very simply wine but the dryness and interesting nose makes it fun to drink in my opinion, and you can hardly beat the price. 

No comments:

Post a Comment