Sunday, January 26, 2014

Tasting - Aconga Bonarda-Merlot

Name: Aconga Bonarda-Merlot
Variety: 80% Bonarda, 20% Merlot
Region: Mendoza
Country: Argentina
Year: 2012
Price: $3.99
ABV: 13.0%

Their review: "Like the practiced artisans of Argentina, this wine has been expertly blended for ample flavors of cherry and black fruit with a hint of sweet spice and chocolate. A light-bodied Bonarda enhanced by a versatile and firmly-structured Merlot makes this soft and supple wine an excellent companion to roast beef or pasta with red sauce."

My review: I tried this wine with and without a food pairing. On its own it initially has a quite boozy smell of which very little attempt was made to cover. It reminds me of a cheaply made 8% IPA. This yields way to a spicy yet subtly fruity smell that my inexperienced nose can only narrow down to some type of berry. The legs appear quite skinny and slow, but as I have never taken the time to observe this in a wine before I have nothing to compare with. On first taste the alcohol remains unmasked, however aeration actually brings out the fruit the wine was made from - something I've never experienced before. It's bitter on the tongue, but drinks smooth all things considered. On a separate occasion I paired this wine with peppered red onion, garlic, and asparagus along with chicken seasoned with paprika. The pepper and chicken seasoning brought out the spiciness of the wine far more than before, to the point where the slap-in-the-face boozy smell was no longer so. The berry smell is somehow a little sweeter, but perhaps simply because I know it's there now. The finish is no longer as bitter; I would more closely link it with a dusty oak that is not unpleasant. With some more fishing and practice I may be able to bring out more flavors, but for what I was able to get out of it it's worth its $4 tag.

No comments:

Post a Comment